Retribution


I sat on my throne, as a deep-seated rage simmered just beneath the surface. My thoughts were consumed by the events of last night's gala that I had attended with Thanatos. That vampiress bitch ruined everything by attacking his mortal chauffeur. He could barely meet my gaze now.

It was no secret that I was seeing the god of death, word travelled fast after the first couple times he was seen in the castle with me. However, I hadn't told anyone about the gala, which meant only one thing. I had a mole in my midst. My grip tightened on the hilt of my dagger until my knuckles turned white. I had done some "research" after Thanatos dropped me off at home. Needing to burn off some pent up emotions, I went back to the scene of the crime. Where there was one vampire, there was sure to be more. They hunted in groups best after all. Who all had followed us didn't cover their tracks well, as I was able to follow their scent trails back to their kills. Three mortals lost their lives last night, and while the general public would think it was due to some savage animal attack, I knew better. 

Unfortunately, I was unable to find the perpetrators that night. They were likely long since gone by the time I went out searching for them, no doubt spooked when Thanatos dusted one of their numbers. However, my search wasn't completely futile. I pulled out a piece of fabric from my pocket. I had found it in the hands of one of the victims. I brought it up to my nose, deeply inhaling its scent, as my gaze scanned the crowded courtyard. I shoved the fabric back into my pocket as I abruptly stood up. Striding around the courtyard, I scented the air as inconspicuously as I could manage. 

Several minutes went by of nothing, and I was about to give up when I suddenly caught the barest whiff of it. I doubled back, following the scent to an alcove.  I hid behind a marble pillar as voices wafted to me. "Did you see the way he vaporized her?" "I know right? I could hardly believe what I was seeing."

My body shook as rage filled every fiber of my being. Without a moment's notice I dove around the pillar with a feral scream. I plunged the silver dagger to the hilt in the first one's back. "This is for Nick," I hissed in his ear, as I ripped the dagger back out. With fluid precision, I sliced the next vampire's throat open as they lunged towards me and then spun around to chunk my dagger as the last one tried to make a run for it. The dagger hit the vampire square in the back, causing him to let out an ear splitting screech as he desperately clawed at the dagger. I zipped over to him. Grabbing him by the hair, I sank my fangs deep into his throat and jerked my head back, ripping it open in a spray of blood. Releasing him, I watched with morbid satisfaction as he convulsed and bled out on the ground. 

My gaze came up to see I had garnered a crowd. Baring my fangs, I roared, "Mark my words. Anyone who meddles with my affairs will share their fate! Now stay in your lane!"

Comments

Popular Posts