Haunting Memories, Pt. 2

Collab with Azrael 
Inferna's POV
A giggle escapes me as he pulls me around the corner. “If they catch us, we’re going to be in so much trouble,” I whisper. He puts a finger up to my lips to hush me. His eyes are lit with amusement, but also a certain heat that causes my stomach to do somersaults.

The corner of his lips quirks up as he slowly brings his hand down. “It’s a risk I’m willing to take for you, my love.” A wide grin breaks out across my features at his words.

“Let’s get out of here then. Just you and me.” His gaze flits down to my mouth a moment before he leans in, his lips brushing against mine in a whisper of a kiss. I smile as he pulls away all too soon. I then tug on his arm, getting him to follow me. “Come on. There’s a back exit this way.”
. . .

My smile falters, a pang going through my heart at the memory of a time long ago. A time when I was little more than a lovestruck young noblewoman. Life was so much simpler then… 

“Are you up for a surprise?” Azrael’s voice pulls me out of my reminiscing. It takes me a moment to process his question, before I nod my head in agreement. My brows furrow when he looks surprised by my answer. What is he up to? I think to myself a moment before he wraps his arms around my waist and kisses me, making me forget whatever it was that I was contemplating a second ago. My eyes pop back open when I feel a strange shift in the air. I glance around to find us now in new, unfamiliar lands. An ancient, abandoned monastery lies ahead of us.

“Sorry if I surprised you, but I did not believe you would have agreed if I told you what I was going to do,” he comments. I arch a brow as my gaze flits back to him. 

“You mean teleporting?” I chuckle. “I’ve been teleported before you know, Azrael.” 

“Well, so much for a fun surprise!” He lets out a disappointed laugh. “But I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised by that information.”

“I’m sorry to disappoint you.” I give him a peck on the lips, before turning back to look at the monastery. 

“I won’t keep us here too long, but that monastery stores some ancient relics, like the ring I gave to you. I just wanted to share a special place of mine with you. No one else knows about this place.” His words bring a smile to my lips. It warms my cold heart that he’s sharing this place with me, and only me. 

“Thank you for showing me. I’d love to hear more about these relics.”

“There are too many in there to talk about right now, but we shall discuss this later, my love. Right now, I believe it’s time to get back to your realm.” He grabs my hand, and an illuminating light surrounds us as we are instantly transported back home. 


. . .

Azrael and I stroll through a bustling village, market day still in full swing. I take in the familiar sights with a feeling of nostalgia. We had spent most the morning and early afternoon scoping out the area next on the list to conquer. Sure, mortals aren’t going to present much of a challenge to demons and vampires, but I find that it’s still good to be prepared. 

“There are some interesting mortals wandering around. How will you choose who dies and who you turn?” My gaze leaves my surroundings to look back at Azrael. I purse my lips in thought.

“It’s harder to be deliberate with who we turn in the middle of a war. We try to do our research. If there’s big players, we’ll grab them first and glean all we can from them. After that, we’ll slaughter the town to a point and turn who’s remaining.” I smirk as my words garner a wicked laugh from him. 

“Nevertheless, there are some pretty ripe souls to collect here. I will definitely enjoy tormenting them for a while before I collect them.”

“In time, love. In time,” I reassure him with a devious smile. I lean into him with a content sigh as we stroll through the crowds arm in arm. “There should be an inn somewhere where we can get something to eat and drink.”

“I will need at least one soul for some energy and nourishment as food and drinks won’t sustain me. It will only take a tap or two on the shoulder, and it will seem like they had a heart attack.” 

I cock my head to look up at him. “Of course. I will need to find someone to feed off of at some point as well, unless…” I glance down at his neck mere inches away from me. I run a nail down his jugular vein, as I lick my lips. “Unless you’re willing to let me feed off of you, so I don’t have to raise any suspicion.”

“Our bodies and souls are one, my love. Let’s eat and have some drinks before we head back to our quarters. Then we can entwine our bodies while you feed off me until your soul is full,” he replies as he moves his neck closer to me. An inaudible groan escapes my lips. Such a tease. Now I was not only hungry, but also hot and bothered. It took all my strength not to just ravage him then and there.

“Don’t tease me like that,” I grumble, as I spot an inn and direct us that way.

“Not a tease. An invitation, and only a truth of our future together.” His words give me pause. Future? I bring us to a halt in front of the inn. My head tilts to the side as I examine him. He saw us together long term? With my poor track record, it’s hard for me to believe my relationships will be anything more than temporary. The irony is that as much as I desperately didn’t want to be alone, it’s the only way I know how to live.

He gives me a soft smile, before clarifying, “And in future, I mean conquering these villages together and understanding the Demon Lord's purpose for us." 

“Oh.” I can’t stop the bit of disappointment that seeps into my voice. I try to shrug it off as he opens the door for me, and I head inside. I rub my arms self consciously as I take in the interior of the inn. It’s already pretty packed and lively, the noise level a bit harsh on my sensitive ears.

Biting my lip, I glance back at him as he entwines his arm with mine. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice a soft glow emanating from my serenity ring, followed by a strange mist filling the room. “The ring feels your uneasiness here and is working to calm you,” Azrael whispers to me.

“Nerves aren’t a bad thing. They keep you alert,” I mutter back as I watch the mist. This is from my ring? Weirdly enough, no one but us seem to notice it. Our surroundings begin to calm down, bringing the noise level to a decidedly more comfortable volume. How intriguing.

“The ring is connected to you and will follow your commands. You only need to direct it with your thoughts. It will work for no one else once you remove it.” He explains how it works as we walk over to the bar and order drinks. As we wait, I stare down at the ring, examining it.

“It’s good I can control it. The last thing I need is for it to do something crazy. It’s hard enough as it is for me to pass as a peasant when I have the complexion of someone who has never worked a day in the sun.” Even now I can feel people’s gazes on us.

“I would never give you anything that you can’t control.” The bartender returns, and I have to hold back a sneer as he hands us our drinks and blatantly checks me out at the same time. The gall of men, I swear.

“Let’s grab that table over there and discuss what is next for us,” Azrael adds, pointing at an unoccupied table and directing us through the crowd.

Once settled across from him, I take a sip from my drink as I survey the room. My eyes catch on an individual sitting off to the side. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s staring directly at me, and by the looks of it, he’s in a state of shock, eyes bugging out and jaw to the floor. I roll my eyes. Typical man going slack jawed over a pretty woman. But even as the words go through my head, there’s a niggling sensation in the back of my head that says something’s off.

“What do you see, love?”

I shrug, returning my attention to him. “Just a bunch of gawkers.” Or was it? Something about this place was starting to have me on edge, but I couldn’t quite pinpoint exactly what. So, I kept the “gawker” in my peripheral vision just in case.

“I know it’s not the time, but I can easily dispense of the group if you wish?” There’s a mischievous grin on his face.

“That won’t be necessary.” I take another sip of my drink. Most of the gawkers got their fill before moving along. But that one… I steal another glance in the man’s direction.

Dammit! I slam my mug on the table harder than I had intended as I see the man heading this way. It would seem I can’t go anywhere without garnering unwanted attention. “Let him come over and see what he wants,” I tell Azrael.

“This should be interesting.” He chuckles. “Maybe he will fall to his knees and kiss your sexy feet.” I very much doubt that.

The man paces back and forth a few times, before finally coming up to our table. There’s an awkwardness to him as he makes eye contact with me. “A-Anneliese?” he questions. 

My stomach drops, and a shiver slides down my spine. How did he know my birth name?

. . .

Follow Azrael at @Free6at6last6




Comments

Popular Posts