Rest in Pieces


Moonlight trickles through the canopy above, illuminating the dirt road before us. I fall in stride beside my second Scark as my gaze takes in the dark silhouettes of trees. The chatter and squabbling of vampires fill the otherwise quiet night air. I roll my eyes at them and try my best to tune them out, uninterested in their little testosterone fueled matches. I swear, we can’t have one hunt without someone trying to turn it into a competition.  

I bite back a few choice words when the vampire in front of me lurches to a stop, causing me to nearly run into him. Looking over his shoulder, I see that the Darkling wolves leading the charge are the ones causing the traffic jam. Their hackles are raised as they look out into the depths of the forest.

Glancing over at Scark, my brows furrow for a moment, before I survey the area. I see a shape move in the darkness, but it’s there and gone so quick I second guess myself. My head snaps in the other direction, as I catch the sound of crunching leaves. Deep, menacing growls reverberate from the wolves, cutting through the air like a knife. They form a huddle, jerking from side to side, as they seem to sense something we cannot. Mouths foaming and eyes lit up a bright red, they snarl with a ferocity I have never witnessed before.

My hand slides down to the hilt of my sword, as I wonder what on this bloody earth could unnerve a freaking demon so much. All of a sudden, an arrow impales the vampire in front of me, sending me scrambling backwards. As the vampire crumbles to the ground, I catch the telltale glint of silver wedged in his neck. My heart sinks into my stomach.

“THEY’VE FOUND US!!!” I shout at the top of my lungs, a moment before Knights of Stronghelm pour out of the forest all around us, outnumbering us nearly three to one.

The sounds of steel on steel and bodies colliding with feral hisses and savage snarls meld together to create a chaotic symphony. My eyes track the movement all around me, before zeroing in on a Knight charging towards me. Little elf ears peek through her brunette hair braided down her back.

My blood boils at the sight of the scourge who cast my kind out of our homeland all those centuries ago. My hatred bubbles over driving me forward, blade high and fangs bared. Sparks fly as our blades collide again and again. Parrying, I slice her up the back. The sweet smell of fae blood hits my nose, driving my senses wild. Eyes flashing crimson, I throw myself at her, ripping into her delicate neck as I run her through with my sword at the same time. Oh, the taste of her blood is exquisite, but I have little time to revel in it.

I shove the Knight’s body aside, and fly at the next one and the next. Spinning, parrying, slicing and dicing. Their skills are good, but I’m like a well-oiled machine, fueled by one thing: vengeance. My blade slices into one’s stomach, and I watch with morbid satisfaction as her guts spill out onto the forest floor. I spin on my heel, just in time to block another Knight’s attack. Our swords clash with a deafening clang.

Using her momentum to her advantage, she knocks my blade aside and then I feel it…

Searing pain rips through me as her silver blade slices across my side. It’s like a wildfire exploding across my flesh. My knees threaten to buckle underneath me as I stagger back, my hand holding my side. Blood seeps between my fingers. I blink back tears as my sword hand flies up, blocking her next move. I grit my teeth as she drives me back. Each and every blow causes my side to scream more.

She parries with practiced ease, sword slicing across my forearm. I recoil, dropping my weapon with a hiss of pain. Spit and blood flies out of my mouth as she clobbers me with the hilt of her sword, throwing me backwards. Sputtering as the air is knocked out of my lungs, I stare straight up at the blade poised above me.

“Goodbye, Inferna. Or should I say Anneliese,” My blood runs cold, a shiver going down my spine, at the Knight’s words. How does she—They have the book… They know my secrets…

There’s a loud cry off to my side, right before something, or rather someone, collides with her. My eyes squeeze shut with a gasp as the sword falls. I wait—and nothing happens. I pop an eye open and then another. Turning my head to the side, I see the blade wedged into the blood-soaked ground a couple inches from me. Gaze gravitating past it, I see Scark ripping into my would-be killer, blood spraying everywhere.

“Scark,” I croak, as I clamber to get back onto my feet, “She’s dead.”

His head snaps up at the sound of my voice, blood dripping out of his mouth. I sway like a tree in a storm as I heave myself back onto my feet. My head is pounding, and my limbs feel as if they are on fire. But, I’m alive, and I suppose that’s all that matters.

“I’m alr—SCARK BEHIND YOU!!!” I let out an earsplitting screech seconds before the tip of a silver blade erupts through his chest. His face is a contorted grimace, black veins springing up as he’s brought to his knees. “NOOOOO!!!”

Adrenaline coursing through me, I blur over to him, throwing the Knight that had attacked him backwards with all my strength. Her body hits a nearby tree with a sickly crunch. I kneel beside Scark, hot tears trailing down my cheeks as his skin turns an ashen gray. H-he’s gone. My best friend is gone.

I peel my gaze away from him to take in the state of things. My breath catches on a sob. Bodies, the bodies of my people, litter the forest floor in pieces. I’m alone and outnumbered.

“KILL THE QUEEN!!” My heart leaps into my throat as multiple Knights charge for me. Survival instinct kicking into overdrive, I jump to my feet and zip off in the opposite direction as fast as my bruised and battered body will take me.




Comments

Popular Posts