Three Steps From Hell, Pt. 2


250 years ago...

I find myself at the edge of the Deepend Forest. Weeks had gone by without any sign of Pestis and these "Darkling" he spoke of, and soon enough, the encounter had gone to the back of my mind. After all, I have the more pressing matter of surviving in this cruel world. 


As I stalk through the forest, a pungent aroma hits me, causing my nose to wrinkle in disgust. I freeze as movement in the brush catches my attention. The moonlight trickling through the leafy canopy illuminates the silhouette of a person approaching. But something immediately strikes me as odd. Their head is held at an unnatural angle, and they shamble through the brush, practically dragging one leg. As they inch forward, stepping into a moonbeam, I get a better look at their features. 

"What--the hell?" With maggot filled holes where eyes used to be and a greenish-blue pallor, I stare face to face with what's essentially a walking corpse. My gaze flits from side to side as rustling noises sound up all around me. I spin around the silhouettes of more of these creatures taking shape in the dark forest. My gaze snaps back to the one closest to me as a low growl rumbles through its undead chest. It reaches out a feeble arm towards me as it's pace only quickens, covering ground at a remarkable pace considering its advanced state of decay.

My heart starts beating faster and faster as the rustling turns to crashing in the forest around me. I unsheathe my dagger and brace myself, preparing for a fight. "Come on, skunk breath. Give me your best shot," I taunt the undead corpse, while secretly hoping it doesn't understand me. It lets out a guttural noise and charges me. 

Swinging its limp arm at me like a makeshift club, I duck under it with ease. "Is that all you got? I'm pretty sure my grandmother could fight better than that, and she's been dead for over a 100 years." 

I dodge another swing, before lunging forward and plunging my dagger into its misshapen neck. It's like cutting through butter, the way my blade slides through its putrid flesh with ease. Yet, it doesn't seem to do much more than just piss it off. It's teeth make a sickening clacking noise as it reaches around, trying to bite me. 

"Ew, keep your paws off!" I exclaim as I shove it backwards, causing it to stumble over its feet like a drunkard. My gaze jerks to the side as five more of these abominations emerge from the shadows. Shit! Right, quit playing with your food. 

I zip forward, grasping the hilt of my dagger that is still in its neck. With my momentum, I wrench the blade backwards, cutting off its head. Its head hits the ground first, followed soon by its cumbersome body. I turn to face the horde, baring my fangs with a loud hiss.

The gesture seems to trigger something in them, and like an angry swarm, they all rush for me. I twirl my dagger, while I look for a good opening. I hardly take a step forward when there's a blur. The nearest creature is decapitated, and a man appears beside me. He steps in front of me, slicing up the next one before I can even get so much as a swing in. 

More vampires blur into the fray, taking out the rest of the creatures, while I'm forced to stand there like some kind of idiot. The man turns back, running a hand through his short brunette locks. A crooked smile makes its way across his almost boyish features. "Are you alright, m'lady?"

"I had it all under control," I blurt out, crossing my arms over my chest. Clearly, I'm the picture of gratitude. He dips his head, letting out a soft chuckle. My gaze slides past him, taking in the other vampires. One in particular, with his long black hair draped across his back and rugged handsomeness, catches my eye. 

"Right, of course you did." My gaze returns to the man I had been talking to. I notice his eyes are a beautiful olive green. "What are you doing out here all alone, if you don't mind me asking?"

Trying to find a place to rest for the night. "Hunting." 

He arches a brow at me, apparently not buying it. I square my shoulders and raise my chin up in a show of defiance. "What are you doing out in the forest?" I deflect.

He tilts his head, looking a mixture of amused and perplexed. "Do you not know who I am?" 

"Should I?" 

"Your Highness, all of the Risen in the surrounding area have been dispatched." The black haired vampire exclaims as he approaches us. He inclines his head to me, and I can feel his gaze linger on me, even as I return my attention to...

"King Xander," I breathe out the name. I had heard about the King of the Vampires, but never thought I'd have the pleasure of meeting him. I give him a small curtsy, falling back on my training of old. "Forgive me, I am a bit of a--loner, you see..." 

He waves his hand, dismissing my apology. "Consider it forgiven and forgotten, m'lady. What is your name?" 

"Inferna--Inferna Daughtry." 

He takes up my hand and kisses the back of it. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lady Daughtry. Would you care to join us on our trek back to the castle? We will provide you with lodgings and food for the night, or for however long you wish to stay." 

I give him a once over, trying to decipher his intentions. In the end though, the promise of food and shelter is far too tempting to deny. "It would be my pleasure, Your Highness."

Comments

Popular Posts